As per the Supreme Court Judgment and guidelines issued in 1997 to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging and to provide a conducive atmosphere on the campus of the Srinivasan medical college, a ‘Gender Harassment Committee’ is constituted.
It shall be the duty of the employer or other responsible persons in work places or other institutions to prevent or deter the commission of acts of sexual harassment and to provide the procedures for the resolution, settlement or prosecution of acts, of sexual harassment by taking all steps required.
It is discriminatory for instance when the woman has reasonable grounds to believe that her objection would disadvantage her in connection with her employment or work including recruiting or promotion or when it creates a hostile work environment. Adverse consequences might be visited if the victim does not consent to the conduct in question or raises any objection thereto.
The objectives of the Committee will be as follows
- To prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by promoting gender amity among students and employees
- To lay down procedures for the prohibition, resolution, settlement and prosecution of acts of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by the students and the employees
- To deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment
- To recommend appropriate punitive action against the guilty party
The Committee consists of members of the faculty, legal expert, service staff and students’ representatives. The members of the committee for the current academic year are:
|1.||Dr. A. Thulasi||Dean||Member Secretary||7094448181|
|2.||Dr. M. Mumtaj||Associate Professor of OBG||Convener||9842472617|
|3.||Dr. K. M. Daruka||Professor of General Medicine||Member||9886249383|
|4.||Dr. S. Thamilarasi||Professor of Pharmacology||Member||9443269175|
|5.||Dr. K. Rajesh||Professor of ENT||Member||9842527930|
|6.||Ms. M. Narkis||Nursing Superintendent||Member||9489682048|
|8.||Dr. T. Gomathi||Women Right Protection Worker||Member||9443797655|
The Committee deals with issues relating to sexual harassment at the Srinivasan Medical College and hospital. It is applicable to all the students, staff and faculty. A complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment may be lodged by the victim or a third party. A written complaint may be addressed to the Chairperson/Member Secretary of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the Director/ Chairman of the Institution or any of the Committee members, they may forward it to the Member Secretary of the Committee against Sexual Harassment. Here it should be noted that according to the Supreme Court guideline Sexual harassment can be defined as "unwelcome" sexually determined behavior (whether directly or by implication) as:
- Physical contact and advances
- Demand or request for sexual favours
- Sexually colored remarks
- Showing pornography
- Other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature (Vishaka judgment by Supreme Court)
- To recommend appropriate punitive action against the guilt
The following are also considered as sexual harassment and is covered by the committee
- Unsavory remarks
- Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment
- Innuendos and taunts
- Gender based insults or sexist remarks
- Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like
- Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like
- Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings
- Forcible physical touch or Physical confinement against one's will and any other act likely to violate one's privacy.