Introduction of Ethics Committee
Institutional Ethics Committee, SMCH constituted for discussion and approval of institutional/ collaborative research projects with respect to safeguard dignity right safety and well being of all research participants and to ensure that the research is carried under prescribed guidelines. Institutional Ethics Committee, SMCH is constituted and operates as per ICMR guidelines, Schedule Y and ICH-GCP Head of the Institution SMCH, Trichy as per the new guidelines has constituted IEC SMCH Trichy vide PMC Order Number SMCH/PS/Committee/3136 Dated 11.06.2013.
Basic Responsibilities of Ethics Committee
- To ensure the competent review and evaluation of all ethical aspects of research projects received in an objective manner.
- To protect the safety, rights and well being of the potential research participants.
- To conduct scientific evaluation and ensure technical appropriateness of the proposed study.
- To ensure that universal ethical values and international scientific standards are expressed in terms of local community values and customs.
- To assist in the development and the education of a research community responsive to local health care requirements.
- Creation, developing revising and implementing ethical guidelines (SOPs)
Objective and Procedure of IEC Meetings
- The Member Secretary in consultation with the chairman may convene the IEC meeting once in every three month.
- Additional review meeting can also be held with short notice as and when required.
- All members will receive notification of meeting schedules in advance.
- A minimum of five persons is required to form the quorum without which a decision regarding the research would not be taken.
- Minutes of the IEC meetings, all the proceeding and deliberation will be documented.
- Applicant investigator may be invited to present the proposal or elaborate on specific issue.
Establishing and Constituting the Institutional Ethics committee
- Dean is responsible to initiate the process of constitution of Institutional Ethics Committee will select and nominate the Chairman (from outside the Institute) and member Secretary (from Institute) for IEC, SMCH, Trichy, Tamilnadu.
- IEC will be constituted by the Dean in consultation with the Chairman.
- Dean will invite the members to join ethics committee by sending the official request letter.
- Member will confirm their acceptance to the Dean by providing all the required in formation for membership.
- Dean will designate and instruct Chairman of IEC or his representative to conduct the regular proceedings of IEC for the institute
- Dean will review the function of IEC at regular interval.
Ethical Committee Members (Human Research)
|Name||Designation & Department||Role in the EC||Affiliation with the Institute|
|Dr. G. Anitha||Dean, KAPV Government Medical College (Retd...)||Chairperson||Not – Affiliated to the Institute|
|Dr. S. Thamilarasi||Professor, Pharmacology||Member Secretary||Yes – Affiliated to the Institute|
|Dr. M. Rasheed Khan||Associate Professor, Biochemistry||Medical Scientist|
|Dr. Dhivya Sethuraman||Professor, OBG||Clinician|
|Mr. V. Gopalakrishnan||Advocate||Legal Person - Member||Not – Affiliated to the Institute|
|Dr. P. Jayabalan||Retired from NIT, Trichy (Currently not working)||Lay Person - Member|
|Mr. K Senthil Kumar||Founder and Secretary of Anbalayam||Socially Responsible Person - Member|